Monday, March 05, 2007

The Herring Run.........

Every year there is a Herring Run, which runs along Vancouver Island's coastline near Parksville.

If you can see below, the color of the water changes color where the fish are running. I am not totally sure if it's because they are spawning, but it sure makes the water a beautiful aqua color. It may not be as noticeable in this picture, unless you look closely. It would have turned out better if it had been a sunny day.



This is a long shot of a few of the boats that patrol the waters during the run. This is not even half of them. If you click on the picture below, it will show it larger. If you look in the water, and see some dark spots, those are actually sea lions just hanging out. This is the first time I have seen them this close to land.


5 Comments:

At 5:34 p.m., Blogger Sue said...

Cool pictures. Are you not allowed to catch herring? All these pictures sure make me want to come for a visit.

 
At 10:19 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

those are cool... I saw the boats this morning on my way to work, and couldn't believe all the seagulls everywhere.

 
At 11:02 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Oh!!! Did I miss it? Maybe on Wednesday I'll have to go take a look if I haven't missed it. I remember last year when Kyle, Paco and I went down the French Creek and walked around in the rain and got muddy and soaked to see it. It was worth it.

 
At 11:57 p.m., Blogger footsack said...

I can't belelive it's the herring run already and yes anyone can catch them.....if you have a big boat and a licence.
I am always amazed at the changes in the color of the water at certain times of the year. I haven't been to the water yet so I will have to go tomorrow to see. I love watching the sea lions out there just eating and getting fat. We watched one chase Reagan in his kyak once. It was amazing. He came so close and barked at Reagan and followed him for a long time. Came within about 8 feet of his kyak. Amazing!

 
At 12:52 p.m., Blogger Carol said...

Yep, the color of the water is what gets me. Reminds me of Mexico.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home