Friday, October 27, 2006

Sisters or in my case half-sisters, but sisters all the same.

Reading Ang's blog, got me to thinking about my own situation. As most of you may know ( or may not know) I am adopted, as was my brother Chris. Now, growing up with an older brother really bit the big one in my opinion. I won't go into details, but needless to say I was not fond of him. He moved away from home when I was 15, so we never had the chance to grow closer.

Anyway, back to the real story at hand. At the age of 28, I finally after some conversations with a close friend, went in search of my biological mother. I had no idea if she was even still alive, after all lots of people die young or unexpectedly. Luckily, I had a half-sister who was looking for me. To make a long story short, we did contact each other with the assistance of Alberta Social Services ( I was born in Calgary.)

Bev and I immediately wrote letters to each other, and she did send some pictures. It was in this letter, that I learned that I had 3 sisters and a brother. Wow, 3 sisters and I had only ever hoped for one. They are Bev, Colline(aka: Sam )Dar (lene), and a brother Ken.

I had always wondered if there was someone out there who looked like me. I think this answered my question. This is Colline, or as she is better known "Sam".



I was living in SK at the time, and my new found family was for the most part living in Northern Alberta. Not really handy if you want to call and go shopping for example.

My "little" sister Bev and her husband Darron and their children Alex and Cassie moved to Vancouver Island this summer. I am so thrilled to have a sister that is close. I don't have a recent picture to post, but below is a picture of us all, when we were together for Dar's wedding. From the left they are Bev, Jody ( Bev, Dar and Sam's half-sister), Dar, myself and Colline.

11 Comments:

At 7:48 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

What? I haven't read Ang's blog. I haven't been keeping up on other people's blogs much. Whoops.

Hey, I don't thing I ever saw that picture of Auntie Colline. Wow, do you two EVER look alike. Crazy. I'm glad that Auntie Bev came to live down here. It must be awesome to be able to get to know her better. I wish that Tara would move down so I could get to know my sister better. It was so awesome when she was down, and her and I sat on the couch eating candy and just talking. I should get her email address from you so we could email, because I don't call.

 
At 9:37 a.m., Blogger Carol said...

I thought that picture of Auntie Colline was very familiar. I don't think Tara has an email address but if you call , I can give you her mailing address, or I will ask if she has an email address I can pass on to you.

 
At 1:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy for you that you now have a sister living close by. Family is really what life is all about.

 
At 9:17 p.m., Blogger Melanie said...

I'm really glad too that you have a sister nearby. I know I'm loving having mine so close after such a long time.

 
At 7:06 a.m., Blogger Margaret said...

The family resemblance is amazing. As for being half sisters...does that mean you can have only a half relationship? My boys are only half brothers, but they are also full brothers. the only time that counts is when you talk about the parent you don't share. I also am happy that you have a sister close by.

 
At 11:21 a.m., Blogger Carol said...

Nope, even a half sister for me means a full sister. I apparantly even have a "1/4 brother" He is the son of Bev's dad from his second marriage, but his birthday falls on the same day as mine, so we are related because of that :o)

 
At 8:38 p.m., Blogger Becky said...

That's so cool. I'm so glad for you.

 
At 12:05 a.m., Blogger Claudia said...

Aww, very pleased that you have a sibling close to you. I wish I could experience growing up with a sister...

 
At 4:15 p.m., Blogger footsack said...

Just in case you didn't know, I'm blogging again...and this is Mitz which I figured you probably knew already but just in case you didn't...

 
At 8:30 p.m., Blogger Becky said...

And I thought it was just my site she was advertising on...

 
At 9:29 a.m., Blogger Carol said...

Thanks for letting me know footsack. You may need to explain where you picked that name from. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home