Friday Funny, and some pictures.
I was about to post some pictures of our recent snowfall, but before doing so I checked my email and this was in my inbox. How appropriate.------------------------------------------------------------
Chilled Vancouver commuters faced their second day of winter hell today,
as an additional ΒΌ centimetre of the peculiar white stuff fell, bringing
the lower mainland to its knees and causing millions of dollars worth of
damage to the marijuana crops. Scientists suspect that the substance is
some form of frozen water particles and experts from Saskatchewan are
being flown in. With temperatures dipping to the almost but not quite
near zero mark, Vancouverites were warned to double insulate their
lattes before venturing out.
Vancouver police recommended that people stay inside except for
emergencies, such as running out of espresso or biscotti to see them
through Vancouver's most terrible storm to date. The local Canadian Tire
reported that they had completely sold out of fur-lined sandals.
Drivers were cautioned to put their convertible tops up, and several
have been shocked to learn that their SUV's actually have four wheel
drive, although most have no idea how to use it.
Weary commuters faced soggy sushi, and the threat of frozen breast
implants. Although Dr. John Blatherwick, of the Coastal Health
Authority reassured everyone that most breast implants were perfectly
safe to 25 below, down-filled bras are flying off the shelves at
Mountain Equipment Co-op.
"The government has to do something," snarled an angry Trevor Warburton.
"I didn't pay $540,000 for my one bedroom condo so I could sit around
and be treated like someone from Toronto."
-------------------------------------------------
As the above comments aren't totally accurate, I thought I should post a picture or two to prove that we really did get more than 1/4 cm of snow.

Above is a picture taken looking down the street.

This is a picture of our neighbor's roofline. This is taken from the back door. Some of the snow had already melted by the time I took this picture.

This is a picture of Oscar in our back yard. We had to make little paths for him in the back yard. This picture shows that the snow is as tall or taller than he is.


11 Comments:
Great post! I braved the snow too and went out to get my Tim's coffee. We stocked up on that and food and just sat in the house for two whole days. The schools were shut down for most of the week and temperatures dropped right down to -4. We almost didn't make it but we managed to pull through. Must have been all that training we got back in Saskatchewan.
I knew those terrible times were going to pay off sometime.
I love that news article, I read it about two years ago when we got that other really bad dump here.
I never thought I'd see the day when -10 and a foot of snow would keep me in the house all day long. We drank pots and pots of Tim's Coffee, ate about two boxes of Christmas oranges, and watched the first two Lord of the Rings (extended edition) and didn't stop eating. We managed to survive.
LOL. Am I the only one who thinks it is funny that you native Saskatchewan people think that amount of snow is so incredible that it warrants being photographed? Too funny. You guys are getting soft out there.
Ah well... I shouldn't mock you. I'm just happy there are pictures. The puppy one is very cute. Me likey.
First, I would like to say.....
wimps!
Oh wait. That's all I got.
jk.
I hardly got to work at all last week. 1 1/2 days. On Wednesday I only worked the morning and we had our winter festival; sledding, snowshoe races, hot maple syrop poured on snow, and i froze. I don't own a pair of boots or a pair of gloves. I filled my shoes with snow and froze my fingers keeping track of who was winning the races.
On Friday I worked the whole day, but my check is going to be very small next week. I HATE snow.
Very funny post, Carol.
Nice post, Mom. I love that thing you got in the email. Apparently, other than the fact that Kyle couldn't work all week, our lives were pretty normal. I walked home from work a couple of times. We went out sledding at a tiny excuse of a hill just down the street. Even tried to drive to Nanaimo, except for the fact that our tires SUCK and we nearly hit a pole right by Auntie Margaret's house. I think I maybe drank one cup of coffee. Oh, but I did drink a lot of hot chocolate! That picture of Stinky is awesome. He's sure getting pretty shaggy, eh? Maybe it's because he looks a bit wet.
Becky you are so right. But out here to get that amount of snow in November hasn't happened for about 20 years or so.
I thought the same as you when I lived in SK, thinking the people in BC hadn't a clue. It is very different out here, as the snow is extremely wet, and once it is driven on once, it turns immediately to ice. Living in SK I had no problem driving in a snowstorm, out here it's a different story. I agree we are getting soft... or spoiled might be a more appropriate word.
LOL Ang, , yep, that's me, and dang proud of it too. :)
Margaret, I was amazed that the schools shut down for so many days last week.
Carrie, my tires suck too. When I dropped Kyle off at your house the other day, I had to pop the Jeep into 4 X 4 to get out of your driveway. (That really is pathetic.) Stinky is getting shaggy, and will continue to do so now until spring. Yay, I only have to clip one dog.
Nice post Carol. To bad about the weather. It should melt by spring. OH WAIT, THATS IN 2 WEEKS, YOU BIG BABY. YOU GUYS WILL BE LOOKING AT DAFFODILS AND WE WILL STILL BE FACED WITH 2 MONTHS OF WINTER. MAN I HATE IT HERE.But nothing I can do, my grandsons are here and wherever they are is still the best place in the world.
John,
I hate to burst your bubble, but the snow is pretty much melted already. Just a few spots here and there, where it got piled up from shoveling.
I agree with you though, we are wimpy, but darn proud of it. And it is definately better to be close to the grandkids.
We call you wimps but we would love the chance to get all soft like you B.C. babies.
I am really enjoying being a B.C wimp!! Come join us :)
Post a Comment
<< Home