Staying Put for Now.
I was seriously thinking about taking a job out in Fort McMurray, AB. My girlfriend Carol ( whom I worked with at the airport) got a job out there. We were talking, and she mentioned that I may be able to make some good money, knowing that we have an upcoming wedding, and the fact I haven't been working in a while. She said it would be 3 weeks in and a week out. But I would have to find my own way to Edmonton, and then home. I thought if the money was good, the cost of a flight wouldn't be too much of an issue.I sent her my resume, and the boss then asked for references, which I emailed to him. I sent a further email asking what the starting wage would be. Carol thought it would be around $15/hour, but my response back was the starting wage was $12/hour. This would entail working 10 hour days, 7 days a week for at least 3 weeks.
I sat down to figure out the numbers, and came to the conclusion it wouldn't really be that great of a wage, especially if I have to pay for my flight there and then home again.
So for now, I am staying put, and looking for work out here.


5 Comments:
What happened to the job at the grocery store, or was that just a temporary thing? I'll pray for you that you find a job closer to home. 12 bucks an hour you should be able to get a little closer to home, no? I don't really have a clue as to what they are paying for wages out there.
Yeah Carol, I think you could easily find something out here for that. KFC was hiring a supervisor position paying $11.50 an hour with full benefits and bonus's. I'll pray that you find something you like.
The grocery store job was just temporary. It lasted for 4 weeks. They did offer me a job for Cashier, but could not even promise that I would get anything more than 20 hours per week. And it's a union, and also just paying $8.65 per hour. Minimum wage here is $8/hour.
Mitz, I am not sure what I would look like after working at KFC for a while. Since they don't have a KFC here in Parksville anymore, as soon as I am in Nanaimo, I want KFC.
Yeah I'm the same. I would eat up all my wages in KFC and start to look about as big as the sign up front.
I don't know why it is, that as soon as there is not something around you, you start to crave it.
Post a Comment
<< Home